I love, love, love cupcakes and used to bake them as a form of relaxation to chill out at the weekends after a long busy working week. So you can imagine celebrating this food lovers day, was going to be so much fun for me.
I thought it might be challenging to find a chocolate cupcake in a shop that suits my dietary needs as I have recently changed my diet to gluten-free, dairy-free and wheat-free.
When I heard about the Chocolate Cupcake National Day Celebration I went in search to find a bakery that sold them as a vegan option and to my delight I found a lovely shop called “Cupcakes & Shhht” that sells all vegan cakes.
I couldn’t believe it when I asked if they had any chocolate cupcakes in the oven that day, and they said yes just give us a couple of hours! I placed my order and went back to collect them later. They gift wrapped the box and made it look super cute and special for me to take home to the family, and of course they were as happy as me to witness how good they tasted.
A little bit of history about cupcakes taken from National Day Calendar Website
“Cupcakes can be traced back to 1796 when there was a recipe notation of “a cake to be baked in small cups” written in American Cookery, by Amelia Simmons. The earliest known documentation of the term cupcake was in 1828 in Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts cookbook.
Cupcakes were originally baked in heavy pottery cups. Today, some bakers still use individual ramekins, small coffee mugs, large teacups, or other small ovenproof pottery-type dishes for baking their cupcakes.”
If you are interested in finding out how delicious these cupcakes are, then please visit Sophie & Caitlyn at “CUPCAKES & SHHHT”.
If you would like to try and make your own gluten-free chocolate cupcakes, here is a quick and easy recipe that is published on the BBC Good Food Website.
- 250g Butter, At room temperature
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 250g Gluten-Free Self-Rasing Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- For the Icing:
- 200g Icing sugar
- 200g Butter, At room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 190C(Gas 5/375F). Line the cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl, Whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, Add a little flour after each one. When combined add the vanilla and the cocoa powder, stir until combined.
- Divide up into the cupcake cases, Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- When cool make the icing, place the butter and the icing sugar into a bowl, mix together with the back of a spoon until soft and light.
- Place the icing into a piping bag and decorate the cupcakes.
There you go simples!!
I would love to try this recipe myself sometime soon. Let me know if you have a gluten-free recipe you would like to share with us in the comments below.
Or, if you have tried gluten-free chocolate cupcakes, I would love to hear if you enjoyed them too!